Tuesday, December 24, 2013

As for me? I'll wash the cups.

Good Morning, Christmas Eve! 

Unfathomable to me that we bid adieu to Advent today, and hello to the season of Christmas -- twelve days of it!  Someday, maybe when I'm 80, I will have a party every day of the Christmas season.  For the moment, it is rather top-loaded.  And though I - come hell or high water - leave my tree up faithfully through Epiphany, by the time the drummers start drumming the Christmas holiday is long gone, and I am engulfed in the work that wasn't done and the inevitable go-go-go of the new year. 

But for today! 

May I say and be thanks.

May I breathe through the final tasks on the list.

May I get a little work done.

May I be with friends and family fully -- not in exhaustion or in fellow boot-camper fatigue.  May I greet them at my best, because they are what is best.

May I think a little bit of you, whoever you are and whenever you are reading this.  May I remember to send you some white light and a bit of love, and remind you that you are a soul who indeed is worthy. 

And may I remember the small things. 

When we throw or host a dinner party, I like to set the table and pull out the nice stuff when I can, for otherwise it will never be used.  I confess that the hours leading up to guests in the home are generally not my best hours, but I think we always end up pulling off a nice evening for ourselves and our friends and family. 

Generally at the end of the evening, the family skitters off in happy exhaustion to collapse before a book or movie.  I like to tidy up as best I can -- sometimes that night, sometimes the next morning.

I save the best for last.  The cups!  Most I do by hand.  I used to think of this as a complete hassle - but now, I've changed it up.  I like to think of each of the people we were with for that meal as I wash the cups.  It's my little meditation on them, and my small form of gratitude.  I hope there is some karmic grace that balances out the crazy woman I was before they all arrived.  And, I like to send some goodness back once in a while.

A small thing - gratitude and grace - but what an impact. 

Thanks for journeying along for the small ride!  Lots of Advent Love to you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment