Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Peaceful Practices, Episode 2
It is the second week of Advent and the theme is Peace.
This week I am focusing on small things that bring me peace and I will share a few of these small things each day. Right away, I want to reassure you that I have in no way, shape or form mastered the art of finding peace. It's my ongoing quest. But I have run across some small habits that, when I remember to implement them, bring me back to my core.
Find a library: No doubt about it, I am among friends when there are books around. From my youth to adulthood, I find comfort, solace and rest inside a good book. On a recent work trip, after my fill of colleague dinners, hotel TV, etc., I sought out a library and one night went to check it out. I left a couple of hours later after some quiet reading. And I felt nourished, not cluttered.
Talk not type: Email, texts and messages - super convenient but every once in a while it's easier to just pick up the phone and talk to people. I find this especially true when there is much to be done. I can usually accomplish in one conversation over the phone the same as I can after several emails back and forth.
Get away: For a short walk, run, or trip...somewhere just for you. Some days, that means leaving my desk to join colleagues for an AM coffee run or a PM walk. Some times it means a weekend away with my sisters, mom and niece. Changing things up brings fresh perspective.
Get there early. For many of you, this is just how you are. Randomly, this is how I am. I only know it is one of those things I never regret. Especially if I have something to read on hand. And one caveat: never early to a party.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment