Sunday, December 15, 2013

Third Sunday of Advent - Joy!

I love this thought by the wonderful Chris Heeter:  "Joy is not the same thing as happy.  Joy has depth and breadth and has the capacity to hold great sorrow as well as abundant goodness." 

I find it so easy to get caught up in the "race to joy" as we participate in end of the year holidays and festivities.  "May I please not race," is my thought for the week.  I also must remember the deep sorrow that many people feel during this time of the year -- amplified by the rest of the world's quest for joy. 

I can't help but share this fabulous poem by e e cummings -- I always think of it when I think of joy and I do believe I have published it in past Advent blogs.  But alas, here it is again. 

Happy 3rd Week of Advent!

XAIPE, 65

i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any--lifted from the no
of allnothing--human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

-e e cummings

No comments:

Post a Comment