It was a beautiful summer day up at Rainy Lake - our annual 4th of July week was upon us and - Joy! - Sara would be there! Sara, my cousin a few years my junior, and in adult life a loved, admired and respected friend.
Almost every time I spend time with Sara, I meet some of her friends. She is a people magnet so there are always new friends to meet, and we all love her equally. On this summer week, she was returning home for her high school reunion. "You have to meet my friend Jen, you'll love her!" Despite the fact that our cabins are practically ten feet apart, we kept missing each other as Sara and Jen were running around preparing for the big event. Finally the stars aligned and there we were at Sha-Sha resort (prounounced "shay-shay") for long island teas and lunch. Yum.
This Jen! Wow! She was so fun and funny and real. We clicked immediately and shortly thereafter became Facebook friends. Her posts were that great combination of real, heartfelt, funny, witty, and appetizing. I always wanted more of this smart, humorous and talented woman.
That December, while I was contemplating the year ahead and what I might want to resolve to do, I was scrolling through Facebook. Once again, Jen's witty and smart posts were streaming through. And something caught my eye. She too was making a resolution and was going to do something unique. One photo a day for an entire year. Cool! Her awesome posts almost always included a photo, and her pictures were great. I loved her crisp and evocative images. I couldn't wait to follow along and see what images would show up each day.
When I thought about the blog this year and what makes it enjoyable for others - I thought of my first couple of years when I was more organized and tried to fill it up with other people's stories. Even though I was already a week and a half into the blog, I thought about stories that had inspired me throughout the year -- friends doing cool things and sharing it with the world via Facebook. Jen came to mind immediately. So I reached out, and voila! She was interested in sharing her story! Yay.
So, without further ado, here is what Jen had to say about her photos -- and then a whole stack of photos follow. You'll see what a pro she is. Thank you Jen for sharing your story and your beautiful art! You are very close to 365/365. WOW!
Here is my "interview" with Jen...
What made you decide to take on this project? What was the thing in it that "sparked joy" for you?
Before I started the 365 Project, I was five years in my
photography journey. I wanted to know more. Learn more. Do it everyday.
This was on my Photography Bucket List. The thing that "sparked joy" for
me was the learning something everyday part. I have learned in my 40
years that you are never too young...for anything, especially learning
something new. THAT is what gets me excited.
Did you have any fear, doubt or hesitation going into the project?
I have this type of brain that if I say I'm going to do something, I do
it and then finish it. If I don't, my mind will never let me forget it.
I had a slight tinge of hesitation because, for my journey, I wanted
every picture to be taken with my "big girl camera". How would they turn
out? Would I have the time? What if I missed a day? etc etc. I decided
to just start it and see what happens.
Were there obstacles or challenges along the way? How did you deal with them?I feel there were 2 challenges during these 365 days. One was missing a
day (sick, vacation etc) and dealing with my sort of OCD brain that
does not like to be behind in anything. The other was those days where I
would search for my muse. As much as I need creativity in my daily
life, it is not always there. Some days, I had to force myself to pick
up my camera. And some days that was the reason a day got skipped. But
then something sparks again and it all comes back around. A kind of
interesting and humbling experience in a way.
Did you come to a point where you just wanted/want to get the project
finished or "over with?" How did you/do you press on in those moments?
The first day of my 365, I posted on Facebook that if you follow me
this is what you will be seeing for the next year. I wanted to put it
out there for myself so I would have 'someone' to answer to, so to
speak. I think that helped in those moments of pressing on because there
were definitely times when I was behind in some days, for example, due
to our summer vacation and I thought, "Oh, I can just start again next
year." But then I would catch up and feel good about sticking to it. I
told you...my brain would never let me forget it.
How do you feel now as you look back on the project? You are almost done! How do you think you'll feel?There's something in photography where they say you should look back on
your work every 6 months, and if you've improved since the last 6
months you're doing something right. I feel like I've most definitely
improved. I can literally "see the light" for a photo now when before
that was something I was struggling with. I am so much more comfortable
with my camera now too (settings, lenses). I know I will feel really
good when it's over because after all the "almost throwing in the towel"
moments, this is actually finished. 365 photos. Bucket List. Check.
(Did I mention how I also like making lists because of the great
satisfaction of checking things off of that list? That would apply here,
too.)
What advice do you have for someone who might want to do something like this? My advice to anyone thinking of starting a 365 Project? DO IT. There is something to be said for doing something everyday for a year. Your skills and confidence will shoot through the roof. There is also something to be said for doing something for yourself. I have 2 kids, Stella (6) and Henry (3), and, although they are my entire universe, they do not define who I am. This project let me find something in me I didn't know was there. And I am forever thankful.











No comments:
Post a Comment