My most incredible moments are the ones that truly take me by surprise. There are the times when you happen to wake up, rested, before everyone else...at the cabin...and have a cup of coffee and read looking at the lake. I love the cabin as you know. However, I often am so busy with the nothingness of cooking, going down to the lake, back up to the cabin, watching the kids, etc. - all of which is so extraordinary - that I don't pause. Pause for appreciation? Perhaps. I know I am blessed by my family, my friends, my husband, my kids, my people. And it isn't at all that I take it for granted. I don't. Well, most of the time I don't! But it is moments like that where God has given me an unexpected pause in my evermoving life to reflect and notice how all of those things refuel me to my core and make me so honored to share my blessings and be blessed by so many.
I think of that day, you may remember, when I begrudgingly went for a longish run from our house, down to the river, up to the lake street bridge, through St. Thomas, then back home on Summit (in the middle where I love to run on the grass and get lost between lights). I even hit the great poetry on the sidewalks on St. Clair Ave. down to the river and was completely uninspired. I turned onto the river and clodded along. It wasn't a bad run, mind you. Just a "nothing" run. Then I saw her. The girl who sailed by me in the knee highs. She had an athletic build and tall long legs...maybe as tall as me. She wasn't one of those runners who you envy for their ease of running and running fast. Rather, she was just gorgeous. She embodied hard work, effort, perseverance, joy, strength, patience...all things that so inspire me. She inspired me. She inspired me the rest of my run. I noticed all that was around me with such a different attitude. One of gratitude for where I live...I heard the crew down on the river cheering each other, ran by those walking around more than one college campus, ran up an amazing avenue, by churches, old trees, bikers, walkers, other runners. I felt touched by her grace...her graceful movement. I think of this so often and continue to feel that moment shifted me not just for that run, but forever.
On these days in late fall, and this year also post-election, where I still feel a bit aggravated by how differently we all react to experiences, to the divide in politics, to the poor, to the rich, to our neighbors, to our friends, to our family...I really try to reach for that moment where her grace brought such a clear sense of unity and peace. When I can touch it, I believe...and that is the most incredible moment for me...when I believe. That is why I love advent. It is a time when you so freely believe in so much.


No comments:
Post a Comment